- This event has passed.
21st February 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 11th April 2021 @ 9:00 pm¥50,000
8 weeks | 50000¥*
February 21st to April 11th
Fixed Class Time: Sundays 7pm-9pm JST (10am-12pm GMT)
Creating Your Own Quality Content to Showcase your Talent
In the current state of the world of entertainment it’s becoming increasingly difficult for new actors to get their “foot in the door”. It is more important than ever to take matters into your own hands and put yourself out there, without waiting for someone’s approval.
In this eight week class you will have the chance to team up with other like-minded emerging actors to create your own short films, showreel scenes and video clips to present your skills in the best light possible and get your work seen – even from the comfort of your own home, given the current circumstances.
What you get:
- A step by step guide to create your own film/scene
- 2 hours online group coaching once a week, covering:
- how to highlight your talent on video
- structuring, planning and executing your own shoot
- what resources are already available to you and how to make use of them
- How to be your own producer
- basic knowledge on key positions on a film set
- team and leadership coaching
- social media and online promotion strategies
- film festivals and how to enter (even without a budget)
- On- and offline communication as a tool for success
- basic screenwriting and video editing
- One 30 Minute private coaching session
- A one-hour check-in and accountability group call every week (attendance optional)
- an accountability partner each week to check on your progress and practise result oriented communication
- A tailor made script written for you based on your own preferences and talents
- The final scenes/ films edited and uploaded online ready to share
- A slack workspace (communications app) for the entire group and each individual film/scene with guaranteed responses to any questions within 24 hours
- A weekly email with weekly progress check-list and external resources for further learning on any subject touched on
- Guest tutors and Q&A’s with experts on individual topics (cinematography, social media, festivals…)
- (Tokyo only) Studio space and basic equipment available for rehearsal and shooting
- An online showcase “film festival” at the end of the class where all work is presented to an audience
You will divide into small local teams for each scene/film and plan your own schedule, so everyone can work on their own time. You may choose to work alone or in pairs as well, but that will limit your resources and learning effect.
The more you are willing to challenge yourself, the more you will grow as an artist!
It is guaranteed that at the end of it each actor will have an at least 2-minute long film, scene, or clip demonstrating their current level of acting, but even more than that you will come out with invaluable knowledge about the entire process surrounding film production and publication in the 21st century.
If regulations in your location allows for in person meetups outside of the class, it is expected that you make yourself available to support at least one other film/scene in a non-acting position in addition to the one, you are acting in, if you are planning on making use of the support from other team members as well.
Who It’s For
This class is primarily designed for actors who already have some experience in front of the camera, have taken acting classes before or beginners who are highly ambitious and certain that a professional career in the entertainment industry is where they’re headed.
Minimum time commitment:
One 2-hour class and 1-2 hours of independent work per week are the very minimum to successfully create satisfying results for yourself within this class. Depending on the scale of your chosen scene/film and your own goals the amount of time needed can very easily exceed that. Make sure to set realistic goals in the beginning of class according to your schedule.
Week 1: Teambuilding, Resources & Screenwriting basics
Week 2: From Script to Scene, from Scene to Schedule to Set
Week 3: Acting and “Self Directing”
Week 4: DIY Cinematography, Light and Sound
From Week 4 on: Shooting begins!
Week 5: Social Media, Film Festivals and Promoting Early
Week 6: “Damage Control” & Creative Solutions
Week 7: Basic Editing
Week 8: Pioneer Training: On to your next project!
Bonus Week: Online Film Festival and Virtual Red Carpet
*We will award 1-2 purely merit based scholarships for actors to take this class for free, based on a one-minute application video of your acting work. However, this opportunity is only available to actors who are signing up for the course, regardless of whether they receive the scholarship, so you must be able to afford the class in order to be eligible.
The scholarship recipients are chosen by external judges, who have no personal connection to any of the participating actors.
To be eligible for the scholarship, please sign up for the class (the winner/s will receive a full refund) and send a 1-minute video to [email protected] by February 14th 2021. This video can be a monologue, a scene or anything of your choosing to demonstrate the best of your current acting abilities. It should be created specifically for this purpose and not have been previously published. Please upload no more than 60 seconds of material on your own youtube, vimeo, dropbox, google drive or similar platform and send only the link.
The winners will be announced during the first class and receive a full refund of their investment.
If you have any questions about the class before booking your spot, please use this link to join our LINE group (must have the LINE messenger app installed):
About Marei Annis
Marei Annis started the acting branch of English Language Film School Japan in 2019, when she moved to Tokyo after spending the previous years between London and Los Angeles. She started her own acting journey as a stage actress in Germany, then eventually moved on to screen acting and founded her own film production company All Visions Align Ltd in 2017, allowing her to become fully independent as an actress and produce her own work on her own terms.
Marei studied a variety of acting techniques in Berlin, London and Los Angeles which all contributed to the creation of her very own, unique teaching style.
She has made it her mission to support actors in dreaming big and shaping their own unique artistic careers rather than attempting a one-size-fits-all approach to teaching.
In addition, Marei has a background in life- and business coaching, which she weaves into her acting techniques, to give actors not just a solid technical foundation, but the mindsets, values and strategies actors need to succeed in the 21st century without selling their body and soul.
Besides acting and film producing Marei expresses her creative calling as lead singer in the international rock band TurboWitch or in Tokyo’s numerous karaoke booths.